Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Button, Button, Who's got the Button?

I recently became the proud owner of about 2 pounds of buttons from a lovely lady who is moving out of the area.

Sorting buttons is one of my favorite pastimes (besides going fabric shopping).

I first form a pile for the unusual shaped and textured buttons.


I make a pile of metal buttons too.  Aren't these cool?  Look at the one with the horse in the upper right hand corner.  And I love the military buttons too (lower left)--just think of who wore that button!


Look at this one--it reminds me of a nuclear physics logo.  Wonder if that one is vintage?
I also look for antique-y buttons, although I'm no expert.  Look at these worn buttons.




Sometimes it's the worn, unattractive buttons that are the most valuable (ever watched Antiques Roadshow?)

I also look for buttons made from shell.  See the flower button below?  That's made of plastic and it's easily identified because of its light weight and flat color.


A shell button, on the other hand (see right above) is going to have more weight to it, have a complex sheen, and it will sound click-y when placed on a surface.  A plastic button will sound flat.  Shell buttons will feel nicer in your hand and will feel cooler to the touch than a plastic button too. 

I look for button groups like this too for potential outfits I can make.  Sometimes if I'm really in love with a button, I'll build an outfit around them.  These below reminds me of a cool, retro suit.   

Here's a purse I made and the button was the important, crowning touch.  I think it really gave the purse character.
Khaki Flowers Purse

I love this nautical button, and I am compiling a group of fabrics based on a nautical theme--this will go in that pile.

Last--this is my favorite button because it reminds me of Las Vegas Glam.  This goes in my special pile!


Do you like to collect buttons?  What do you look for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting but please don't comment anonymously. If you don't have a Google ID, you can simply enter your name or any nickname you like under the Name/URL option. (Entering a URL is optional.) Thanks so much!